In 2007, two families came together to begin to transform 89 acres of empty farmland into Peacehaven Community Farm. Here you can learn more about the vision for this place, current operations and our hopes and dreams for the future.
Peacehaven's Core Values and Practices
Peacehaven is a nurturing, supportive community where the core values of community, relationships, and growth are lived out on a daily basis.
- Community is the most important word in our name. It reflects our central mission of meeting the basic need we all have to belong. The value of community is lived out in expanding circles that begin with the community of those sharing life together in our homes at the farm.
- Relationships are the lifeblood of Peacehaven. We place a priority on building and maintaining healthy relationships including with self, others, community partners, donors, and guests. We recognize that hospitality - welcome and openness to another- is a key component.
- Growth is our foundation. This includes individual growth, organizational growth and the seasonal growth that takes place on a farm.
We focus on three practices to live out these core values at Peacehaven:
- Compassion – Compassion is our “keystone” practice, and the foundation and groundwater for Peacehaven. We practice compassion for ourselves, others, our communities, and our land and resources.
- Servant Leadership - Servant leadership is practiced through the idea that we lead by serving others, requiring a mutuality of power and a humility of the self. This practice focuses on the growth and well-being of others and values the understanding that including the voices of those whom decisions effect is of utmost importance.
- Sustainability – Peacehaven operates with practices in the present that function not solely for short-term gains, but for the long-term flourishing of Peacehaven as an organization, the individuals who belong to the Peacehaven community, and the environment. This includes sustainability of people, energy, agriculture, building, and finances.